When: 28 June 2022 I Time: 11:00 - 12:30 (Brussels Time) I Register HERE I Official Website
On 28 June, the European Circular Economy Stakeholder Platform (ECESP) and Normative will be holding the #EUCircularTalks to discuss the role of carbon emissions in closing the loops in a circular economy and discuss the role played by EU policies and legislation in reducing carbon emissions. The IPCC’s recent report outlined how rapidly the world is heating up due to human activity and the role that our carbon dioxide emissions are playing in that rise. Paris Agreement-aligned targets require emissions to be cut by half by 2030 and to reach net zero by 2050. During the UN high-level meeting Stockholm +50, governments from around the world are meeting to commemorate the 1972 United Nations Conference on the Environment and celebrate 50 years of global environmental action.
This talk is an associated event of Stockholm +50 and World Environment Day (WED). It will discuss the EU's role in reducing carbon emissions and discuss the policy and legislative changes needed in order to do so. Zinaida Fadeeva, Team Leader of the SWITCH-Asia SCP Facility will also join as a key speaker.
The EU SWITCH-Asia programme aims to strengthen the "external dimension" of EU policies in 24 countries in Asia and Central Asia, in particular, the EU Circular Economy Action Plan, the EU Green Deal, the Farm2Fork Strategy, the Renovation Wave for Sustainable Housing and Buildings, the new Textile Strategy, the Strategy on Plastics, the Sustainable Tourism Strategy, among others. The Programme supports its "game changers" (EU grantees) in testing and adopting greener and more sustainable industrial processing in MSMEs, promoting greener products and more sustainable consumption patterns and behaviours in Asia. The results of grant projects will feed into policy dialogue with Asian governments for the elaboration and implementation of national policies, regulatory frameworks and policy instruments related to SCP/ Green Circular Economy. Knowledge exchange on EU policies is of critical importance in our dialogues. This is also being done in collaboration with the EU Delegations and Focal Points of Ministries in partner countries.
Moderator: Cassandra Julin, Head of Global PR and Communication at Normative
Cillian Lohan, Vice-President, European Economic and Social Committee (EESC)
- Jesus-Maria Alquezar-Sabadie, Socio-Economic Analyst at European Commission on EU circular economy policies and legislation affecting carbon emission accounting
- Alexander Schmidt, Head of Science and Climate Research at Normative on net zero and the journey - policy and legislation affecting businesses in Europe
- Dr. Zinaida Fadeeva, Team Leader of the Sustainable Consumption and Production Facility (SCP Facility) of the SWITCH-Asia Programme
- Jenny Sandahl, Sustainability Director at Ericsson
- Charles Göbbels, Managing Director at Reprocover
Additional interventions & Panel discussion
- Julia Breidenstein, Co-Founder and PR Manager at HUMANA Kleidersammlung GmbH