In Pakistan, several cleaner production initiatives have been undertaken in the past decade (assessment of needs, energy audits, technical assistance to adopt energy efficiency and waste water recycling techniques, raising awareness on cleaner production packages). Despite these initiatives, the target sectors leather and textile lack know-how and capacity to apply sustainable production technologies and be aware of environmental impacts and associated potential financial benefits.
This project sought to implement a range of energy and resource efficiency initiatives in the textile and tannery sectors in Pakistan, with the potential to adapt these initiatives to other manufacturing industries in the long-term (e.g. sugar, pulp and paper, steel rolling etc.).
The Way Forward
- Defined knowledge has been given on the manufacturing production chain and technological capacities;
- Increased capacity of IEMs to improve the energy and resource efficiency of production and implement SP practices in the targeted industries;
- Local educational institutes are now fostering academic-industrial partnerships to educate students in E&RE technologies;
- Series of pilot E&RE implementations are now available for replication by other SMEs, showcasing a complete model for SP in the manufacturing processes;
- Trained IEMs on SP technology, implementation and business strategies, supported by knowledge acquired from the pilot initiatives;
- Sustainable production network has been implemented and linkages between IEMs and EU environmental standard organisations were established;
- An established and capable manufacturing sector focused on enabling the proliferation of E&RE technologies;
- Strengthened and innovative policy framework for implementing and inciting SP practices in the manufacturing industries;
- Increased awareness and access to know-how and training in SP technologies at the local and regional level.
Duration:3/2009 – 2/2013
Total Budget:EUR 1,408,592 (EU Contribution: 80%)
Mr. Faraz Rasheed Mir
An der Karlstadt 6,
27568 Bremerhaven, Germany